Wednesday 10 October 2012

 

Entrelac

As I am working on a book for a Japanese publisher, I experiment and here is a story of my last knitting-game.
Ever since 1993 I have worked with domino-knitting. I love it and I will always enjoy working with domino - it has become a way of thinking knitting for me. Knitting is simply not just casting on so and so many stitches on a circular needle. No, it is working my way in any direction creating all sorts of shapes. I have never tried entrelac as I have always been shown that it goes horizontally and you have to knit all the squares in a row. I find that boring. But since I figured that I could knit entrelac in a domino-way - it opened up for me and I am now having fun with entrelac.

 
My friend Susanna Hansson (http://www.oneofsusannas.com/)
told me about this book: Entrelac by Rosemary Drysdale. I do have several books telling about entrelac, but this book really made a difference for me. I was mainly attracted to it because the front cover was so nice and colourful, but also because it had this step by step instruction that I could follow. She work her way from the right to the left - one row of squares and then the opposite. But since I now know how it is done - I can make it my way. I can simply knit almost from where I want to where I want - one square at the time, not a row of squares.
The book cover tells the story of why it is smart to work in rows - as you do not need to cut yarn between squares. But since I weave in my tails as I go it does not matter - and my squares are bigger. 
  
So here to the right is a garter square, then a square with a star on top and the third square (with a star) to the left etc.
I use the Clover Point Protectors (left) so that I can insert my double pointed needle into stitches from a square from whatever direction and then place the Point Protector. Easy!!!
On the picture to the right I just used straight needles, but using double pointed needles and Point Protectors are smarter.

I don't know what I will use this technique for - I just played with it and we will see what will happen in the future.

Knitting is about having fun - isn't it?

 

4 comments:

  1. Hej Vivian- velkommen til blogspot- det er dejligt at du er kommet herind så vi kan følge dig, men jeg mangler et link på din side- nemlig så jeg kan blive fast læser af din blog. Tror du det kunne lade sig gøre at få det? på forhånd tak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Vivian
    Velkommen i blogland, det finder du sagtens ud af. Glæder mig til at følge der her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hej Vivian hvor er det fedt at se dig i blogland, du er jo en af de store danske ikoner inden for strik. Jeg har linket til dig på min blog, for jeg er sikker på mine læsere vil kunne finde mange vise ord på din blog.
    Jeg glæder mig til at barnebarnet og dig får gang i Facebook.
    Mange hilsner
    Charlotte Kaae
    Knitting by Kaae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goedemorgen!
    I bought the twin garidigan in Groningen. ( the Netherlands)
    It is very nice, I'm glad there is a very good translation in dutch to read.
    Next year I'm going to Fyn. I'd like to see more of your work.

    Hartelijke groet,
    Marielle Hofman

    ReplyDelete